External Affairs Committee
This Code is established under Article Vii and Article XV of the Bylaws of the Associated Students, California State University, Northridge, Inc.
The purpose of this Code shall be to outline and define responsibilities of the External Affairs Committee.
DATE OF EFFECTIVENESS:
This Code shall be effective when approved by a 2/3 majority vote of the Associated Students Senate.
This Code may be amended by a majority of the total voting membership of the Associated Students Senate.
- Voting membership of this committee shall consist of no less than five members appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate, and no more than one member at large.
- A senator, who shall be nominated and appointed by the Senate, shall become the Chair of the External Affairs Committee.
- A Vice Chair shall be nominated and confirmed by a majority vote of the External Affairs Committee.
- The following shall be considered non-voting Ex-officio members of this committee:
- Attorney General
- Chair of Legislative Affairs
- A.S. representatives to the California State Student Association (CSSA) or student designee
- A.S. representative to the Northridge East Neighborhood Council or student designee
- Any CSUN students sitting on CSU Systemwide Committees
- Staff Advisor appointed by the A.S. Executive Director
- This committee shall be a standing committee of the Associated Students Senate.
- This committee shall be responsible for, but not limited to, researching and recommending courses of action to the Associated Students Senate regarding any affairs concerned with:
- A) Campus relations with the local community.
- B) National and statewide issues that affect the Associated Students or any portion thereof.
- C) Relations with other CSU campuses.
- D) Relations with the Chancellor's office and the CSU Board of Trustees.
- This committee shall submit a written end of the semester report to the senate during the Spring and Fall semester.
- The chair shall be a member of the Council of Chairs.
- The chair shall be responsible for the distribution and organization of committee senate bills (legislative referrals).
- The chair shall be responsible for preparing and distributing the agenda and minutes to the committee.
- The minutes shall be sent to the A.S. Government Secretary to distribute to all necessary parties.
- Vice Chair
- The Vice Chair shall assume the duties of the Chair of the External Affairs Committee, in the absence of the Chair and will carry out the individual’s duties as outlined in the Codes on the External Affairs Committee and the Council of Chairs.
- The vice chair shall compile the minutes and submit them to the chair to be distributed with the following week’s agenda.
- This committee shall meet weekly during the regular semester.
- Voting Members
- Voting members (senators and member-at-large) are required to attend the full duration of all committee meetings.
- Senators who have three unexcused absences or five absences total from committee assignments in one session will be considered as having vacated their seat; exceptions can be made by the Chair or Attourney General. Absences will be recorded in the minutes.
- Failure to attend the entire committee meeting (which is to be understood as from initial roll call to final roll call) will be considered late. Two late arrivals will be considered the equivalent of one excused absence. Exceptions will be made by the Chair or Attorney General.
- If a Senator is not present during initial roll call, they will be recorded as late. The Senator will have the right to vote and participate in discussion once recognized by the Chair.
- Failure to attend a Senate-assigned committee meeting will be considered an absence.
The External Affairs Committee shall, in the execution of its responsibilities, uphold the policies of the:
- The United States Constitution
- The State of California
- California State University, Northridge
- Associated Students
The parliamentary authority for the Associated Students External Affairs Committee shall be the current edition of Robert’s Rules of Order, Newly Revised.
This Code shall supersede all Codes on the A.S. External Affairs Committee passed prior to November 7, 2022
Amended: October 26, 2020 (18-0-0)
Amended: November 7, 2022 (15-0-0)