Chief of Staff
This Code is established under the authority of Article VIII, Section 3 of the Associated Students Constitution.
The purpose of this Code is to establish the office of the A.S. Chief of Staff and to outline and define the duties and responsibilities of the A.S. Chief of Staff.
DATE OF EFFECTIVENESS:
This Code shall be effective when approved by a majority vote of the Associated Students Senate.
This Code may be amended by a majority of the total voting membership of the Senate.
APPOINTMENT, TENURE AND RESPONSIBILITY
- The Chief of Staff shall be a student appointed by the A.S. President and confirmed by the A.S. Senate.
- The tenure of office for the Chief of Staff shall be one year, to be concurrent with the A.S. President’s term of office who appoints the Chief of Staff. Should the office be vacated during the school year, the new appointee shall serve for the remainder of the term.
- The Chief of Staff shall be directly responsible for the discharge of his/her duties to the A.S. President.
- The Chief of Staff shall be a student in good standing as defined in Article V, Section 1 of the A.S. Constitution and the Chancellor’s Office guidelines.
- The Chief of Staff shall serve as the AS President's primary and/or co-liaison along with the Vice President to the President’s Cabinet.
- The Chief of Staff shall supervise the following cabinet members, unless otherwise assigned by the A.S. President, each of whom shall report regularly to the Chief of Staff in all matters related to the discharge of their duties:
- Attorney General
- Chief Justice
- Chair of Finance
- Chair of Legislative Affairs Chair of Personnel
- Chair of Elections
- Chair of Commissions
- Chair of Clubs and Organizations Chair of Sustainability
- Chair of Athletics
- Chair of Technology
- The Chief of Staff shall be responsible for conducting meetings with these cabinet members at their own discretion and to report to the Senate on a weekly basis on their progress.
- Additional responsibilities of the Chief of Staff shall include, but not be limited to, the outlining and oversight of goals for the President’s Cabinet, by developing an achievement plan with periodic benchmarks to be met by each member; the evaluation of progress, benchmarks, and the attainability of the overall goals of the Cabinet.
- The Chief of Staff shall chair the President’s Cabinet and ensure that proper records are kept of their proceedings unless otherwise specified by the Associated Students President.
- The Chief of Staff must attend weekly A.S. Senate meeting.
- The Chief of Staff shall serve as a member of A.S. President’s Cabinet.
- The Chief of Staff will also perform other duties pertaining to the overall management of the A.S. President’s Cabinet as directed by the A.S. President.
- The Chief of Staff shall be responsible for preparing annual and unallocated budgets related to his/her position and which may be necessary in order to carry out his/her duties.
- The Chief of Staff shall manage and coordinate the schedules of the A.S. President and Vice President.
- The Chief of Staff shall manage and coordinate the public relations and branding of the A.S. President and Vice President.
- The Chief of Staff shall attend committee and board meetings at the discretion of the A.S. President.
- The Chief of Staff shall plan and organize A.S. Awareness Month.
- The Chief of Staff shall act as a non-voting member of the Council
The Chief of Staff shall, in the execution of his/her responsibilities, conform to and abide by the policies of:
- The United States Constitution
- The State of California
- California State University, Northridge
- Associated Students
All meetings called by the Chief of Staff shall be conducted according to parliamentary law as set forth in Roberts Rules of Order, Newly Revised.
This Code shall supersede all Codes on the A.S. Chief of Staff passed prior to May 5, 2014.