Chair of Elections
This Code is established under Article VII and Article XV of the Bylaws of Associated Students, California State University, Northridge, Inc.
The Purpose of this Code shall be to define and outline the procedures governing the office of the Chair of the Associated Students Elections Committee.
DATE OF EFFECTIVENESS:
This Code shall be effective when approved by a majority vote of the Associated Students Senate.
This Code may be amended by a 2/3 vote of the total voting membership of the Associated Students Senate.
APPOINTMENT, TENURE AND RESPONSIBILITY
- The Chair of Elections shall be appointed by the A.S. President with the approval of the Senate.
- The tenure of office for the Chair of Elections shall be one year, to be concurrent with the term of the President who appoints him/her. In the event of a vacancy in the position of Chair of Elections, the A.S. President may issue a non-renewable 30 day appointment to fill the position. Should the office be vacated during the school year, the new appointee’s tenure of office shall end when the term of the A.S. President who appointed him/her ends.
- The Chair of Elections shall be immediately responsible for the discharge of their duties to the A.S. President.
- The Chair of Elections shall be a student in good standing as defined in Article V, Section I of the A.S. Constitution.
- The Chair of Elections may not hold any other elected A.S. office nor be eligible for election to any A.S. office. They may not take part in any campaign for or against any candidate(s) or ballot issue(s) during their tenure in office, with the exception of the right to vote.
- The Chair of Elections is advised by the A.S. Coordinator for Student Leadership, as well as a university-assigned advisor.
- The Chair of Elections position may, at the discretion of the A.S. President and with the approval of the Senate, be shared by two Co-Chairs. Anywhere this Code references “Chair of Elections” would then apply to both Co-Chairs.
DUTIES OF THE CHAIR OF ELECTIONS
- The Chair of Elections shall serve as a member of the A.S. President’s Cabinet.
- The Chair of Elections shall serve as Chair of the A.S. Elections Committee.
- The Chair of Elections shall be a non-voting, ex-officio member of the Internal Affairs Committee.
- The Chair of Elections shall administer the A.S. Elections, and ensure that all election publicity and campaigning be carried out pursuant to the rules, regulations, procedures and policies of this code and all codes relating to Elections, the A.S. Constitution, and those of the university.
- The Chair of Elections shall recruit, train, process payroll documents and evaluate all paid elections employees.
- The Chair of Elections shall assist students in the process of applying for A.S. elections.
- The Chair of Elections shall work with advisor(s) to complete all requirements for the online voting system including ballot preparation, candidate statements and pictures, email alerts, requests for voter information and institutional research data.
- The Chair of Elections shall arrange for preparation of all elections materials including election packets, official publicity and marketing, etc.
- The Chair of Elections shall preside over all complaints regarding elections conduct, violations of the A.S. Elections code, and/or applicable university policies and procedures.
- The Chair of Elections shall maintain documentation of all Elections Committee agendas and minutes, including those that address election irregularities.
- The Chair of Elections shall supervise voting and balloting during election days.
- The Chair of Elections shall arrange for the secure handling of all elections materials, including confidential information.
- The Chair of Elections shall arrange for, publicize and mediate all press conferences and presidential debates.
- The Chair of Elections shall coordinate requests for students needing special voting accommodations due to disability.
- The Chair of Elections shall coordinate the elections fine/sanctioning process.
- The Chair of Elections shall oversee the purchase, management and storage of all election-related supplies.
- The Chair of Elections shall have the power, through the Elections Committee process, to conduct a formal hearing on any candidate charged with violating any section of this code and all codes relating to Elections, the A.S. Constitution, and all related university policies and procedures.
- The Chair of Elections shall be responsible for publicizing and making available the guidelines and policies on campaigning, campaign publicity and posting relations pertinent to the elections process.
- The Chair of Elections shall publicize the elections schedule and all necessary filing information through the official student newspaper and the A.S. website, no later than the first day filing opens and run through the last day of elections. All applications should be available beginning the first day filing opens and runs through the last day of the elections period.
- The Chair of Elections shall be responsible for scheduling Elections Committee members to oversee various aspects of the elections process.
- The Chair of Elections shall preside over the mandatory candidate orientation meeting, which is scheduled for the purpose of distributing and explaining the various elections rules and processes to candidates.
- The Chair of Elections shall preside over the mandatory student employee “Street Team” training meeting, which is scheduled for the purpose of distributing and explaining the various elections rules and processes to election employees, as well as to obtain necessary hiring information.
- The Chair of Elections shall submit a summary report on every election to the Senate at the first meeting following the last day of voting. This report will include the voting results, and should be attached officially to the minutes for the Senate meeting at which the report is presented.
- The Chair of Elections shall submit an evaluation report at the second A.S. meeting following the last day of voting. This report should be automatically referred to the A.S. Internal Affairs Committee for follow-up.
The Chair of Elections shall, in the execution of his/her responsibilities, conform to and abide by the policies of:
- The United States Constitution
- The State of California
- California State University, Northridge
- Associated Students
All meetings called by the Chair of Elections shall be conducted according to parliamentary law as set forth in Roberts Rules of Order, Newly Revised.
This Code shall supersede all Codes on the A.S. Chair of Elections passed prior to December 8, 2014.