Internal Affairs Committee
This Code is established under Article VII and Article XV of the Bylaws of Associated Students, California State University, Northridge, Inc.
The purpose of this Code shall be to outline and define the responsibilities of the Associated Students Internal Affairs Committee.
DATE OF EFFECTIVENESS:
This Code shall be effective when approved by a 2/3 majority vote of the Associated Students Senate.
This Code may be amended by a majority of the total voting membership of the Associated Students Senate.
- Voting membership of this committee shall consist of no less than five members appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate, and no more than one member at large.
- A senator, who shall be appointed by the A.S. President and confirmed by the Senate, shall chair the committee.
- A vice chair shall be appointed by the Chair of the Internal Affairs Committee and confirmed by a majority vote of the Internal Affairs Committee.
- The following shall be considered non-voting Ex-officio members of this committee:
- Attorney General
- Chair of Personnel
- Chair of Finance
- Chair of Elections
- Chair of Athletics
- Chief Justice
- Staff Advisor appointed by the A.S. Executive Director
- This committee shall be a standing committee of the Associated Students Senate.
- The committee shall be responsible for, but not limited to reviewing, evaluating, and providing feedback of all programs of the Associated Students, ensuring that programs and services are meaningful, are effective, enhance campus spirit, are learning-focused, and are valuable to students.
- The committee is also responsible for researching, reviewing, and recommending the initiation of new programs or the dissolution of existing programs, for the benefit of the Associated Students, to the Student Senate.
- This committee shall submit reports of its findings and its recommendations of new programs to the Associated Students Senate. A copy of these reports shall be sent to the Associated Students Finance Committee to assist it in its deliberations.
- The committee shall also formulate any document necessary for the efficient operation of the Associated Students.
- This committee will have the responsibility of drafting and revising any document of the Associated Students (i.e., codes, charters, constitutions, etc.)
- The chair shall be a member of the Council of Chairs.
- The chair shall be responsible for the distribution and organization of committee senate bills (legislative referrals).
- The chair shall be responsible for preparing and distributing the agenda and minutes to the committee.
- The minutes shall be sent to the A.S. Government Secretary to distribute to all necessary parties.
- Vice Chair
- The vice chair shall assume the duties of the Chair of the Internal Affairs Committee as these duties are delineated by the Chair.
- The vice chair shall compile the minutes and submit them to the chair to be distributed with the following week’s agenda.
- This committee shall meet weekly during the regular semester.
The Internal Affairs Committee shall, in the execution of its responsibilities, uphold and policies of the:
- The United States Constitution
- The State of California
- California State University, Northridge
- Associated Students
The parliamentary authority for the Associated Students Internal Affairs Committee shall be the current edition of Robert’s Rules of Order, Newly Revised.
This Code shall supersede all Codes on the A.S. Internal Affairs Committee passed prior to May 5, 2014.
Amended on: September 30, 2019