Chair of Sustainability
This Code is established under Article VIII, Section 3 of the bylaws of the Associated Students, California State University, Northridge, Inc.
The purpose of this Code shall be to outline and define the responsibilities of the office of the Chair of the Associated Students Sustainability Committee.
Date of Effectiveness:
This Code shall be effective when approved by a majority vote of the Associated Students Senate.
This Code may be amended by a majority vote of the Associated Students Senate.
APPOINTMENT, TENURE AND RESPONSIBILITY
- The Chair of Sustainability shall be appointed by the A.S. President with the approval of the Senate.
- The tenure of office for the Chair of Sustainability shall be one year, to be concurrent with the term of the President who appoints the individual. Should the office be vacated during the school year, the new appointee’s tenure of office shall end when the term of the A.S. President who appointed the individual ends.
- The Chair of Sustainability shall be immediately responsible for the discharge of their duties to the Associated Students President.
- The Chair of Sustainability shall be a student in good standing as defined in Article VIII, Section 2 of the A.S. Bylaws.
DUTIES OF THE CHAIR OF SUSTAINABILITY
- The Chair of Sustainability shall serve as a member of the A.S. President’s Cabinet.
- The Chair of Sustainability shall serve as Chair of the A.S. Sustainability Committee.
- The Chair of Sustainability shall be a non-voting, ex-officio member of the Internal Affairs Committee and University Affairs Committee.
- The Chair of Sustainability shall raise and address issues related to the environment, which affects the campus, surrounding community, nation, and/or world.
- The Chair of Sustainability is responsible for educating students on current sustainable practices of the A.S., the campus, and the California State University system (CSU System).
- The Chair of Sustainability shall lead the Sustainability committee in creating resolutions and policies that articulate sustainable recommendations and direction to the A.S., campus, and CSU System to conduct business in a more sustainable fashion.
- The Chair of Sustainability shall work with A.S. Productions to:
- Lead the effort with Earth Week/Earth Day activities
- Conduct and Organize speakers and campus forums to increase awareness of sustainability and environmental issues.
- The Chair of Sustainability shall work in collaboration with the Institute of Sustainability, A.S. Recycling, Student Housing, and other university committees relating to sustainability.
- Be a liaison between and work with individual students on matters of environmental concern.
The Chair of Sustainability shall, in the execution of the individual’s responsibilities, conform to and abide by the policies of:
- The United States Constitution
- The State of California
- California State University, Northridge
- Associated Students
All meetings called by the Chair of Sustainability shall be conducted according to parliamentary law as set forth in Roberts Rules of Order, Newly Revised.
This Code shall supersede all Codes on the A.S. Attorney General prior to August 11, 2014.