Chair of Athletics
This Code is established under the authority of Article VIII, Section 3 of the Associated Students Constitution.
The purpose of this Code is to establish the office of the A.S. Chair of Athletics and to outline and define the duties and responsibilities of the A.S. Chair of Athletics.
DATE OF EFFECTIVENESS:
This Code shall be effective when approved by a majority vote of the Associated Students Senate.
This Code may be amended by a majority of the total voting membership of the Senate.
APPOINTMENT, TENURE AND RESPONSIBILITY
- The Chair of Athletics shall be a student appointed by the A.S. President and confirmed by the A.S. Senate.
- The tenure of office for the Chair of Athletics shall be one year, to be concurrent with the term of the A.S. President who appointed him/her. Should the office be vacated during the school year, the new appointee shall serve for the remainder of the term.
- The Chair of Athletics shall be directly responsible for the discharge of his/her duties to the A.S. President.
- The Chair of Athletics shall be a student in good standing as defined in Article V, Section 1 of the A.S. Constitution and the Chancellor’s Office guidelines.
DUTIES OF THE CHAIR OF ATHLETICS
- Represent the Associated Students on the Athletics Department Executive Cabinet.
- Represent the Associated Students on the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC).
- Represent the Associated Students on the Matador Athletics Staff Council.
- Represent the Associated Students on the Sport Clubs Council
- Participate in the Strategic Planning process for CSUN athletics.
- Provide feedback from A.S. to the Department of Athletics on meaningful ways to market to and program for the students at CSUN.
- Keep the A.S. student leadership and staff informed of NCAA, Big West Conference and all other policy/procedure changes involving CSUN Athletics.
- Keep the A.S. Student Leadership informed of all Sport Clubs matters.
- Attend selected campus and community meetings with the CSUN Director of Athletics.
- To develop a monthly calendar of monthly sport clubs activities and events.
- To be a liaison between the A.S. Student Leadership, A.S. Sports Clubs and CSUN Athletics, and to work towards a collaborative and supportive relationship among the three entities.
- Work with the A.S. Chair of Clubs and Organizations to inform campus clubs and organizations about upcoming athletic contests and events.
- Shall serve as a member of the A.S. President’s Executive Cabinet.
- The Chair of Athletics may have the opportunity to travel with CSUN Director of Athletics to selected games.
- The Chair of Athletics shall serve as an ex-officio member of the Internal and University Affairs Committees.
The Chair of Athletics shall, in the execution of his/her responsibilities, conform to and abide by the policies of:
- The United States Constitution
- The State of California
- California State University, Northridge
- Associated Students
All meetings called by the Chair of Athletics shall be conducted according to parliamentary law as set forth in Roberts Rules of Order, Newly Revised.
This Code shall supersede all Codes on the A.S. Chair of Intercollegiate Athletics passed prior to May 5, 2014.